Friday, March 27, 2009

Lincoln, NE


This week I had the opportunity to visit the Lincoln, Nebraska cemetery. Dan and I kept driving by and I kept drooling over this large cemetery that extended as far as you could see on both sides of the road. I love cemeteries. My favorite holiday is Memorial Day. I am not sick or morbid I just have a lot and I mean a lot of respect for the dead. I appreciate all they did for me to make my life easier and I have the deepest of respect and humble awe for all military service people. So May is the month where the grass greens, flowers and flags are put out. (ok so I dont go for the toys and objects people put on graves...just flowers). I love how it looks.



Back to the cemetery. Every time we drove by I would look further and further back trying to see all the cool above ground head stones and monuments. One of the last times we were going to be driving by I saw this huge man kneeling. Dan asked if I would like to go see it. I jumped on the chance-knowing full well that my husband probably thinks I am a freak getting all giddy about a cemetery. We find the monument after being sidetracked by so many other monuments and mausoleums and creative headstones (I have never seen ones that look like logs). Here it is...A memorial to firefighters. It was ginormous. The boot on this man was bigger than my forearm. It was so wonderful. There were tons of monuments dedicated to men who died in the civil war (that was my fav) and then a general one for all other wars...WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm, Desert Shield. It was wonderful. I wish I could see this place on Memorial Day.


How wonderful to have this memorial to Firefighters. They truly are daily heroes.










This was my favorite headstone. How simple yet classic is this? Kinda weird that it has my name on it but whatever. Mary is too common for me to freak out about. Anyway I really liked this simple memorial grave marker.

5 comments:

Melissa Rees said...

So what the heck are you doing in Nebraska? And I love that you love cemetaries. I have a secret wish to live by one. I just think it would be so calm and peaceful, don't you?

Ruth said...

I with the looking for calm and peaceful! Beautiful pictures!

Em said...

Mair, I didn't know his first name. Guess that shows just how interested I was, huh?

Maria said...

I also love cemeteries. I have my headstone all designed and my funeral plans ready just in case. I want to make sure I get exactly what I want when I kick the bucket. Did you ever go to the Ogden cemetary? So beautiful!

Lori England said...

How fun! I want to go on a road trip or any trip. The best I get is a trip to sams club.