Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Vampire allergy??

Happy St Patrick's Day everyone! I hope you got some good pinching in! This is me. I am totally tired and it shows. Anyway, I have the fattest lip ever. The sad thing is that the swelling has gone down by about 50%.

So I woke up this morning to a fat lip. Here are the events as they happened. 11:30-midnight-ish Dan playfully bit the left side of my upper lip. I said ow! At 3 am I wake up and I feel the left side of my face is swollen.
I get a cold washcloth and go back to bed. I wake up at 5 to get ready for work. I notice my face is huge. The swelling includes part of my cheek. I wake Dan up. I show him the damage and he laughed and went back to sleep. I go to work. I wear a mask and at 8 am I show the office staff. By then the swelling is at its peak. It has shifted to the median. So now my nose is swollen, and right cheek. It feels like I am numb from a maxillary block. It is hard to me to breath through my nose there is so much swelling. It hurts. My skin is stretched to tight I am afraid of bursting or stretch marks on my lips (ha ha ha). I look like a collagen experiment gone wrong! Dr M is worried. He wants to start me on antibiotics and made me take my temperature (only 98.3). He examined the bite and did not find anything.
At 1pm I leave for lunch and a job interview. I am looking for a hygiene job on Mondays. I sent my resume to an office advertising for 1 day a week. They called me. I asked them specifically if the day they were looking for was Monday. They said yes. So Dan picks me up and takes me to my interview, laughing the whole time at my elephant face! The job interview sucked. The Dr said she was looking for Tues and Wed. So 4 seconds later I was on my way back to work. I truly think the Dr took one look at me and prejudged me and did not want me in her office. I am alright with that. She did not even ask me how it happened or anything.
Now I am at home and took the picture around 5:30 pm. The swelling has gone down a lot already. So everyone, how deadly is human spit? I did not think the playful bite during a pleasurable experience broke the skin and did not think it would have caused this much inflammation. I guess I married a vampire and I am allergic. Dan said I am wrong he is a werewolf if his saliva is poison. He is right.....So now I am even more paranoid of patient's spit!

6 comments:

Ruth said...

Maybe it is allergic reaction to those "pleasurable experiences!"

Lizi said...

Holy cow, how crazy! Allergies to your husband...this could be bad :) That's totally random though and makes me curious why it happened! And also it makes me glad that I'm the biter in my relationship, haha.

The Obergs said...

Hmmm... very interesting. I'm trying to go through all the things we learned that could explain the swelling. How bizarre, I hope Dan doesn't have some freaky strain of bacteria or something.

Maria said...

I have two words for you: eikenella corrodens. It's a nasty bacteria found in human periodontal flora.

http://prod.hopkins-abxguide.org/pathogens/bacteria/anaerobic_gram-neg._bacilli/eikenella_corrodens.html?contentInstanceId=255918

This was featured on an episode of "Forensic Files". The perp was caught because he punched the woman and her bacteria infected his hand. The ER doctor recognized the bacteria and he was arrested.

Please go to a doctor and get this checked out immediately!!

Lori England said...

The things we share!

Sara Melling said...

Mair, I just had a gut role laugh. Thank you, it made my day. I can't believe I haven't been on your site for this long...I probably missed a lot, obviously, you almost died! And hello, I was totally unawares that you liked cemetaries. How long did we live together? See, now there is a point, Dan might be a warewolf and you just didn't know even though you've lived with him for 6ish months...maybe it's his hunting season and he's come out of hibernation.