Monday, June 13, 2011

Pink Hoodies with Sparkles, Waterfalls, Sailors, and Food

This is Lori Ann Jones Bishop. She is my sister. She is 11 months and 2 weeks younger than me. We are the same age for 2 weeks each year. We have had a our ups and downs. We taped off our dresser as teenagers. We shared clothes and pulled hair. We are still sisters no matter what.
Lori is a mother of 3, wife of 14 yrs and owner of a large daycare. I have been trying to get her and her family to come on an adventure with me. I finally convinced her! She left her husband, her kids, her job and her life to spend a weekend with me.
It started off with her raiding my closet. She found an outfit and we went down town to Portland's Pearl District. Todd treated us to happy hour at Lucy's Table. Lori wanted 'fancy food'. We ordered sparkling lemonade and then ordered several appetizers.  We ordered pomegranate glazed baby back ribs, goat cheese ravioli, vegetarian risotto, prosciutto wrapped asparagus with balsamic reduction, flat bread pizza, beet and blue cheese salad,  In the picture above is the goat cheese ravioli which was one of my favorites.

The asparagus was a huge hit also!

Lori adventured out to the rock to get closer to the waterfall.

It was the last of 3 weekends of Rose Festival activities in Portland. One highlight was Fleet Week. The US and Canadian Navies, Coast Guard, and Army bring boats from the ocean into the Willamette River. We were admiring the big ships and the sailors on them when the coast guard put on a show. Here they are dropping into the water to practice rescue a man. The skills of the pilot amazed me. After dropping the diver the copter came around and lowered the rescue basket and save them! Yay! Coast guard!

Lori and I had a great weekend. I am most thankful for the temple session we did together. It was completely perfect to me. I am so thankful we live our lives worthy of entering The Lord's house. I am so thankful to her for allowing me to schedule a session in during our busy weekend. I love the peace and perspective and comfort I get from going. Even if what I pray for is not coming to fruition. I am still thankful for my life and my many many blessings.
I am so thankful for Lori and her sacrifice to come visit me. I have more to post of our adventure and cannot wait to tell you all the fun we had.

8 comments:

cheeks said...

how fun (now) to have a sister so close in age! first off, i have NO IDEA what your parents were thinking! haha! that's crazy you guys are so close in age!!!! you and your sis have the same blue eyes!

i think i would have been checkin out the sailors as well! lol! ok, have you ever seen the movie THE GUARDIAN with kevin costner...about coast guard? good movie but i refuse to see it more than once!

The food definitely looks fancy...and yummy!
that waterfall is beautiful. one day i should visit oregon. it's so lush and pretty! sorry your summer is still not there...i have a feeling it's not going to be in utah next week when we get there either!

Ruth said...

On Meghan's soccer team, there were 2 little girls that were about 10 months apart. Cute girls, I believe Meghan was just there for the outfit and treats! Such a wonderful thing to have a sister that can share such wonderful experiences with you!

Melissa Rees said...

Oh I'm so behind!!! Love that your sister came to visit! Had no idea you two were so close in age!! Love your new cavitrons too :)

*Jo* said...

It was FAB! I can not believe that i finally went on an adventure with you!

*Jo* said...

Oh I am at work and apparently logged in as Jo...but I am
Lori

The Obergs said...

I had no idea that you had a sister so close in age to you. I can imagine how fun/difficult that must have been.

I love that she was able to come spend time with you and do fun "grow-up" things with delicious "grown-up" looking food.

It's so nice that despite the fact you live so far away, you are always getting to see your family.

The Obergs said...

oh what the! I had no idea I was so far behind in your posting... I don't get online for a week and a half and suddenly I'm in the dark on everyone's life. I too love the ultra thin insert. Oh my, If I could my office to by a million of those I would be happy. Also, what's up with your patient and his tiny roots. Is it from his ortho?

Lizi Bates said...

Sisters are the best! That's awesome that Lori came to play. And that food sounded delish! Fun fun fun :)