Monday, December 08, 2008

Becky episode 2

So back to Becky. She told me that is required to do SRP on any 4mm pocket. So she does a lot. She does not like it but does it because Bob asked her to. Have I mentioned Becky is a year out of school? Well Becky was seeing this man who had dumped $25,000 into his mouth at Bob's office. Then when a lower anterior bridge failed he was pissed. So he wrote this letter to Bob explaining that he had been keeping his teeth clean and that it was Bob's fault the bridge failed. The patient even said...your hygienist said I am doing good and bumped my recalls to 6 month. Now all of us RDH have done this. We think a patient is doing good. There is no pocketing there is no inflammation there is no calculus so after a year of this we bump them to 6 mo recall. Well Bob flipped his lid. He gave Becky a formal warning and wrote her up etc. She was devastated. She wished Bob had just explained that you dont do this and she would not have done it again. But instead Bob called her into the office and said that he was cutting her hours and hiring another RDH.

Crappy huh?

Well, I was looking at their schedules when I was there and the hygiene schedule was very very low. During the last 3 months there was not one full 8 hour day. Becky told me that it was common to only have 3 pt in one day and be expected to come in for those 3 hours and then leave. So I am not too keen on this job and being expected to clock out all time especially since I live 30 min away. I am not feeling good about this job offer.Well I have my working interview tomorrow and I am going to get that job!!! I want it and I am going to go get it! I'm gonna jet and go check out the Max (light rail) schedule so I can take it downtown to work tomorrow and not pay $8.75 for parking plus gas and traffic issues.....I'll keep you posted...

And FYI tonight my house is too small....I cannot get away.....Help me.....

1 comment:

Maria said...

Oooh, scary. Isn't it the patient's fault that his bridge failed? It's not like we can go home with them every night and brush for them.

Trust me, you don't want to work for a dentist who won't stand behind you. Poor Becky! What a crappy way to start out your first year.

This is why I want to go to grad school. I've had enough of the office politics and overbearing hygienists who think they know everything. And stupid patients who don't brush and blame it on us.