Tuesday, December 02, 2008

1 down 2 to go

So interview one is done. I drove up and the office looked like many of the buildings around it. It did not look particularly nice or anything. So I was surprised when I opened the door and there was this posh office. There was leather cushy seats in the waiting room with a gas fireplace. Above the fireplace was a flat screen tv playing info about vaneers etc. Then in the corner was this huge leather massage chair. There were 3 soothing water displays placed around the room. Anyway the office looked really nice and very professional. I waited for my interview for 17 minutes. I was trying not to be irritated but I was. I had left work at Albertsons to run down to this interview and the Dr who did not have a patient....was wasting my time. Finally he came out and said oh I thought you were a patient not my interview because he said hello to me after I had been there 5 minutes. I was not impressed. So he takes me into his office which has a big flat screen tv/computer monitor and really nice furniture. He proceeds to ask me questions. He wants to know about my last offices perio program. He wants to know about my speed and accuracy. He wants to know if patients like me. He wants to know what I expect in regards to pay. I answer everything and think I'm doing alright. Finally he asks me to come back for a working interview on Tues. I tell him I already have a working interview that day. He said ok how about Thurs. I say I am working at Albertsons Pharmacy for the rest of the week. So he decided on Sat. He said he would really like to see me work blah blah blah because I seem like I am a normal person. I said I am normal. And then we joked about how some dentists and hygienists are not normal. It was great fun. So I guess I am going back for a working interview on Sat.

It should be a real experience. He has the latest technology. There are 9 ops and each has a huge computer monitor behind the patient and at least a 36 inch flat screen in front of the patient so you can show them xrays, and their ct scan. Yeah, like I know what that is....It looks like a pano machine and it takes a 3-dimensional image of your head and measures bone. So you look at this jaw and you can see exactly where a furcation is and exactly where the nerves are buccal and lingual. It was really impressive. Kami would flip out for a chance to use this stuff with her students! Then he has 'rats' which are mouse for your feet. So you control your cursor with your foot and that is how you do probe depths. There is going to be a learning curve for me and a challenge to get all this high tech stuff down. It will be great. I am pretty sure I will get offered the job. I feel that the dentist liked me and now just wants to see what I can do and produce.

It is a high end dental office. He does a lot of IV sedation, vaneers, implants etc. I am afraid that he is going to pressure me into diagnosing perio when there is no perio. I am going to do my best to be a good ethical and correct RDH. I had better brush up on my classifications of perio though!

Well I have a working interview tomorrow. I have a 90 minute commute. I should be in bed but cannot sleep and so I'll be trashed tomorrow. But what can you do? I already don't want the job tomorrow just because of the commute. It is only 35 miles away but with traffic and since there is not a highway I have to go through town and that means stop lights. It is going to suck. But at least I have one more chance at a good office and that will be on Wed when I have a regular interview in a downtown Portland office...only 7 min from my house. I am keeping my fingers crossed for that one! Well, I guess I should try to go get some more sleep....I really hate insomnia!

3 comments:

Em said...

I'm already freaking on the Prednisone!!! really, what will it do to me if I stop? I only have about 4 more days....I've vain. Good luck with the rest my dear.

The Obergs said...

Mary Ann, I'm so excited for all of your prospects. I must say that the best part of this high-tech office is the rat! I've never even heard of that before but I can't tell you how many times I've had to "don" and "un-don" my gloves so that I could mess with the mouse. Best of luck, I"m sure they'll all love you.

Maria said...

I don't even have a computer in my op. And the handle broke off the door to my darkroom today, so I had a light leak. You're so lucky! All that high-tech stuff scares me.