Sunday, December 07, 2008

Job offer #1

I had my working interview yesterday at the high end dentistry place in Lake Oswego. It was interesting to say the least. There is a 3-D CT scanner there I was telling you about a few posts ago. It only costs the cash patient $230. Amazing. This 89 year old woman came in with her husband. She was interested in getting new dentures because the current set were sliding around a lot and due to bone resorption she thought it was time for a new set. So she got one of these scans. I was surprised. I guess I am used to 89 year old people being on fixed incomes and not being able to afford many extras. Then I found out that Lake Oswego is where the rich and well to do of Portland live. Who knew....so I am in this hoity toity office feeling out of place in my tennis shoes that have mud on them from my walk into the parking lot and my mentality of dont rip off 89 year old women! Oh well. She seemed happy and excited to get a new set of dentures so I should let her spend her money any way she wants to.

The office has the Visiscope thing used to check for oral cancer. They use it as part of the initial exam which is good. They charge $39 for that and $35 for a fluoride treatment. which is not a tray but me wiping fluoride gel on their teeth. That is not helping....It needs to be at least on a tray and in their mouth for 4 minutes. Also the office does not have a cavitron. They have a piezo. Cedar Dental Center had both so I am familiar with the 'P5' but their tips suck!!!! I am going to have to get them to order some new ones. So I got the job for 2 days a week one of which is Sat. I dont know how I feel about this job. I do know how I feel and it isn't good. Here is a story...any advice is welcome.

The current RDH (lets call her Becky) is working full time for this Dr (lets call him Bob). Becky has been working for Bob full time for 1.5 years. This month he tells her that she is being cut back to 3 days a week and he is hiring a new rdh for the other 2. She is not happy. She likes working for him and likes working 5 days a week. Becky has been out interviewing for other jobs even the same ones I have. I got a working interview from the downtown Portland office and she did not. So I am wondering if she is a 'weird' rdh or if the dentist is a jerk or what. Is Bob trying to get her to quit? Is Becky a bad RDH? Why are her hours being cut? These are the things I want to know. I am going to call Becky later today and see if I can find out. We could not really talk much yesterday during work...too many ears you know. So I will update you asap. But I have a job...good or bad I have a job.

1 comment:

Maria said...

I hate piezos! Congrats on the offer! Don't you love office politics?