Sunday, December 14, 2008

Let it Snow

I have heard of cities shutting down because of 1 inch of snow....I call that city Las Vegas. But Portland??? We are in the Northwest. There is snow here, snowboarding is huge. So why is the city unprepared for snow? I am not sure. Anyway, we have church @ 1 pm. At 9:43 a voice mail was left on my phone telling me that church was cancelled. I was surprised. Dan was not. I got up around 7 this am for a potty run and noticed the light dusting of snow. I went back to bed because I really really wanted a sleep-in and Dan actually turned his phone to silent so I could (he has tried to get me to sleep in with him but his phone vibrates every time he gets a text or email so it never fails on sleep in mornings it goes of btn 6-7 and then I cannot go back to sleep). So I go back to bed and sleep for about an hour. I rolled over and still being attached to my snugly husband I grabbed my book and read while he slept. I got up again about 9 am and there was about a whole inch of snow. Our bathroom clock has a thermometer in it and it registered 48 degrees. So I turned on the heater...we only have electric heat and since we are poor we try to keep it off as much as possible but 48 is freaking cold. So I run back to bed and snuggle my warm husband who wakes up because I am all sorts of chilly! We snuggle for about an hour and then get up. So during that time we both received several calls telling us church was cancelled and that Portland city was requiring all people to have chains on their tires if they were driving around etc. I was laughing I mean an inch....Dan turns on the tv and the news is broadcasting non-stop about this storm.
There is footage of people sliding down the bridges that go over the river etc. It was kind of funny. I mean who does not know bridges are pure ice during snow storms because there is freezing air under the road? Anyway, Dan bundles up and goes out to see if the beloved 4-runner will start. It struggled but quickly came to life so we went for some fun in the snow! There were not many people around. We did donuts in the church parking lot and had a good old time!
Now we are home and chicken enchiladas are cooking in the oven. It smells all cozy and wonderful in here. Dan is playing Halo and I am blogging:) Now you are updated on our minute to minute details.
Still no word on the downtown job. So currently I have been offered a job in Lake Oswego at the high end dentistry place for 2 days a week one of which is Sat. I don't want this job but will take it if I have to. Then I have been offered a job in McMinnville 1 hr 20 min drive for 41 miles for one day a week...Thursdays. I am still waiting to hear if I get the job downtown which is Tues, Wed, Thurs and one Fri a month. I work there again on Tues So I am hoping that I will get the job! I really want it. Now if McMinnville will change their day to Monday I will be set and can tell Lake Oswego no thanks. That is my dream! Well other than that I am hunkering down for this 'Artic Blast' storm we are having and I am kind of glad I do not work tomorrow for Albertsons. Now I can just stay inside and let everyone else commute in the crazy weather! Well, hope you all are keeping warm and loving life....I am!!!
(pic....first one is from the front door looking at Dan's Durango, second is from the back door of the 4-runner and my Tundra, third is our backyard....)
PS. Dan is soooo like my mother when it comes to snow. She loves to be out in it and slide around etc. Dan was so happy when we were outside playinig in the snow. He was like a little kid! It was so fun to be with him!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cedar got almost seven inches in as many hours on Saturday, and even MY little car was okay! Silly Portland! ;-D

Jo's Crazy Adventures said...

sister!!! i think im going to start blogging cuz bree bree does and its fun and i kinda miss it.

Melissa Rees said...

That is hilarious! I drove to Payson in crappy weather and they can't even drive over a bridge?! Church never gets cancelled here. I remember a couple of times Weber State cancelled classes but that was a massive storm! Too funny!

Maria said...

Ha, ha! That reminds me of living in North Carolina. There would be a flurry and the whole state would shut down. By the afternoon it had all melted but there were still alerts to stay off the roads and the schools would be shut down for two days. Ridiculous! But it was nice to have church cancelled and sleep in.

Em said...

SOOOoooo, there is light, LIGHT fluff on the ground today and I get a call that said the clinic is closed due to weather. I'll have to post a pic. There is nothing...Hope they close tomorrow too, we are flighing out for Pasco on Sat.

MAIR!!! My iron broke, it broke!! I was really upset last night, very vexed!!

Virginia said...

48!!! I'd be afraid my pipes would freeze! We have signs up all around our apartment telling us to keep it 60+ It's good you have someone to help keep you warm.